Monday, February 12, 2007

Mathematics and Carnatic Music

I had an interesting discussion once with Deepti on juxtaposition of Mathematics with Carnatic music. She said she is going to write a blog on it in detail but here are a few excerpts of the discussion which I could relate to and felt true. Much of the below sentences are, I confess, her own and copyrighted.

Aesthetics is philosophy of beautification.
Science is something that covers Aesthetics in shrouded mystery.
Mathematics describes the Science using numbers.
Progressions, be it linear or geometric, are an integral part of Mathematics.
Patterns are an inherent component of Progressions.
Symmetric pattern is pleasing because there is beauty in symmetry and vice versa.

So how that’s how we have the circle of Beauty. Via Aesthetics, Science, Math, Progressions and Patterns.

Invariably, the best musical patterns are progressions.

And that’s how Carnatic music starts : sarale varase; dhaatu varase; jhanti varase; alankaara…

I leave the rest (and the more intricate things) for Deepti to add…

2 comments:

SimblyDimply said...

Ahem! Ahem! Mahajanagale: Harsha seems to have documented my sporadic thought way better than me! This post is one of the best compliments I have ever received.

రౌతు విజయకృష్ణ said...

Is our carnatic music mathematicized or still to be done(or any possibility??) , If is was being done already, Please send me some links. Thanks for the post