Sunday, October 19, 2008

Thought for the day

I enjoy listening to music more than playing. Thats the plain bare facts. But then I might still be too young a player to really enjoy while I am playing. It could be something that grows on you. Perhaps. But right now, when I am playing, there are 100s of things that I have to think and sweat out before I can play it right. The framework of the raga, the taala, the lyrics, the what-next dread, the bow-movement, the speed and clarity, the lubrication on the finger. Phew!

I mean, you listen to Endaro Mahanubhavulu, and you dance along with it, but if you are the one who are playing, you need to continuously remember whats coming next, how to improvise, how to keep the audience dancing along with the music...there is simply so much basics to stick to...and its at that moment, that I feel I am just imparting the enjoyment but not really enjoying the music myself because of the paraphernalia involved...

Well, many more years to go, I guess...for me to both play and enjoy at the same time...

2 comments:

Pranitha Kamat said...

Hi
I just came across your blog and find it pretty interesting. Just wanted to let you know that I feel the same. I am a Bharathanatyam dancer, and my Guru says 'we dance for the Lord and less for the audience'. But this is what I was never able to achieve. When I am all by myself dancing to a varnam I truly enjoy it. But when it came to the stage..... never achieved that !!

Harsha S Rao said...

@pranitha
Good to know that I am not alone...! Thanks for stopping by!